- This event has passed.
Virtual Dialogue on “Options to Integrate of Renewable Energy into Vietnam’s Grid System”
June 19, 2020 @ 14:00 - 17:00
By December 2019, the total installed capacity of Vietnam power system reached 56 GW, of which major energy sources for power generation are coal (36%), hydropower (30.3%), gas (13.3%), small hydro (6.6%), solar (8.4%) and wind (0.7%). In the first 6 months of 2020, we have observed significant changes in the power development policies of Vietnam with the short- and long-term orientations of the Party and the Government. Most recently, on 9 June 2020, the Prime Minister has agreed in principle to add 7 GW of wind power (Document no.693/TTg-CN) and 10.3 GW of solar power (Letter no.1968/TTr-BCT) into the national power development plan. The addition of a large amount of wind and solar power capacity simultaneously into the plan (mostly concentrated in some provinces in the Central and the South of Vietnam) requires a synchronous power grid upgrade to match with the development of the solar and wind projects.
The Vietnam Initiative for Energy Transition (VIET) has conducted studies on the grid power system of Vietnam to address the two issues:
- Scenarios for wind and solar integration to the power grid to 2022 in 3 regions: Tay Nguyen (Kon Tum, Dak Lak, Dak Nong, Lam Dong provinces), Central South (Binh Dinh, Phu Yen, Khanh Hoa, Ninh Thuan, Binh Thuan) and Southwest. In this study, we investigate the ability of capacity evacuation and then provide the propositions for grid and substations upgrade as well as some policy recommendations.
- Scenarios for the integration of offshore wind power to the grid up to 2030 to identify the offshore wind clusters and the options for power grid development in the next 10 years.
To obtain multi-dimensional dialogues on the overall picture of the grid system, the capacity evacuation issue for renewable energy projects, the Vietnam Initiative for Energy Transition (VIET) is organizing a virtual Dialogue on “Integration of Renewable Energy to Vietnam’s power grid system”. We will offer an exciting, insightful dialogue with the contents described as following:
- Discuss the status of the existing power grid and some short-term grid development plans to 2022 and
- Discuss based on the research results of the grid integration of offshore wind power to Vietnam’s national grid to 2030.
- Discuss based on the research results of the ability of grid integration of onshore/nearshore wind power and solar power projects to
The representative of Vietnam energy corporations:
- Mr. Vo Quang Lam, Deputy General Director of EVN
- Mr. Vu Mai Khanh, Deputy General Director of VietsovPetro
The representative of Donors:
- Mr. Tran Hong Ky, Senior Energy Expert, representing WB
The representative of investors:
- Dr. Hoang Giang – President and CEO of Pacifico Energy VN and Mui Ne Solar Power
- Mr. Bui Van Thinh – Chairman of Binh Thuan Wind Power Association, CEO of Thuan Binh Wind Power Joint Stock Company
The representative of scientists:
- Dr. Nguyen Hong Phuong – Senior expert in Electricity grid modeling and simulation, VIET and TU/e University, Netherlands
- Dr. Ho Dinh Tham – Expert in energy regulator, IES Company, Sydney
- Dr. Dinh Van Nguyen – Expert in Wind Power Assessment and Division, VIET and Cork University, Ireland
- Msc. Duong Viet Duc – Senior Expert in Grid Investment
- Msc. Le Quoc Anh – Senior Expert in Grid design and modeling
Moderator: MSc. Ngo To Nhien, Executive Director of VIET.
Time: 14:00 – 17:00, Friday, 19 June 2020
Format: Online via Zoom platform (the Zoom link will be sent via the registered emails before 15:00, 18/6/2020).
Language: Vietnamese and English (with interpretation channel).
Participants: Administrative agencies, Investors, EPC, investment funds, commercial banks, experts, scientists, and press.